[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon May 10 14:27:07 MDT 2010

All,

Many of you know that I have been a proponent of Pure Sound Wire for about 6 years now. In all, I believe we have restrung about 18 pianos with it. I have recently redone/restrung 5 of these with Mapes and/or Roslau because of the same breakage problems mentioned. Here are my latest thoughts;

1. Stainless wire needs more R & D. Juan has some sizes in "regular, strong, and extra strong" and even the extra strong wire is subject to breakage, albeit less. AL Sanderson was looking into some studies of the wire, as was Jim Ellis, but to my knowledge none were ever done. Some large companies have also looked at it. The stainless feature, less inharmonicity, the nice sound, etc. were all things I hoped would "revolutionize" wire as we know it. The bottom line is that it breaks too much. I still have hopes that someone can find the magic formula.

2. In "high use" pianos (practice rooms, studios) the wire seems to fatigue prematurely. After 2-3 years we had a lot of breakage in size 16.5 and smaller. Sometimes several a week. (!@#%$!) This can only be due to fatigue, IMO.

3. The wire is too risky to use in a performance piano. Even after observing all the precautions given by Juan, i.e. polishing all friction points with 1200 grit polishing cloth, using a lubricant at these points, making sure that no tool touches the wire w/o being polished so as to have nothing to nick the wire, lowering the pitch before raising, etc. etc. some wire would still break! From the day it was put on, and especially at about 3 years you could never be sure if a ff blow would break a string or not.

4. The wire has worked well for me in the following applications; 1. Home pianos where the pianist is either not a heavy player, or is a beginner 2. Low tension pianos (Steinway L was actually the best, two rebuilds also) 3. Sizes 17 and heavier never seem to break. 4. It actually solved longitudinal mode problems on some pianos in size 19 or thereabouts.

So, sadly I must say that I am no longer an advocate of the wire, ESPECIALLY for CAUTs. But, as Fred pointed out, it is good to try things. I've spent a lot of money and time that I wish I hadn't, here at BYU and personally. But, as they say,  "hindsight is 20/20".

I still have enough wire to string about 12 more pianos, if anyone is interested...

Jim Busby