[CAUT] Turbo wips

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Mon May 10 13:01:52 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

The most conservative/classic approach is to adjust the springs on
the bench with stack off and hammers up so that the wippens are
hanging level on the springs.  This creates a very even spring
tension.  Then weigh off with key leads normally for an even balance.
In this scenario the springs will be working 9-10grams at the
touchweight measuring point.

Steinway Hamburg used this method in production for many years in the
earlier part of the 20th century.  What weigh off chart are you
referring to?

David Stanwood