[CAUT] Turbo wips/new info!

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon May 10 18:16:38 MDT 2010

I think the basic approach is as follows.   First weigh off the entire
action (up and down weight) with the wippen springs disconnected and chart
it.  Then set the FWs for uniform BW at about 9 grams heavier than your
target (or for  whatever amount you want to use the assist springs).  After
you do that you connect the springs and adjust the tension using the
upweight as a guide.  Thus if your BW without the springs attached yielded,
say, a DW of 60 and an UW of 34 (BW = 47, 9 grams higher than your ultimate
target of 38 grams) then with the springs attached and tensioned to 9 grams
worth of reduction the new UW will be 25 grams (34 - 9 = 25).  Set a 25 gram
weight on the note and adjust the tension in the spring until it will lift
25 grams.  No need to check the DW as it will change proportionately.  You
can also do this with the DW instead of the UW but I prefer the UW.  It's an
argument for adjustable wippen springs but then you have to use Tokiwa
wippens.  But this way you don't have to worry about varying friction from
note to note.   If the wippen assist springs don't go all the way to note 88
then in your weigh off you will have a jump in the FW's at that point.  That
will create a change in the inertia so you'll have to add the missing assist
springs if you want to avoid that.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com