[CAUT] Turbo wips/new info!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue May 11 06:32:40 MDT 2010

Thanks!

This sounds like a good approach.  I'll try it out today and see what
happens.

Best,
Paul

From:
"David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
To:
<caut at ptg.org>
Date:
05/10/2010 07:16 PM
Re: [CAUT] Turbo wips/new info!

I think the basic approach is as follows.   First weigh off the entire
action (up and down weight) with the wippen springs disconnected and chart
it.  Then set the FWs for uniform BW at about 9 grams heavier than your
target (or for  whatever amount you want to use the assist springs). After
you do that you connect the springs and adjust the tension using the
upweight as a guide.  Thus if your BW without the springs attached
yielded, say, a DW of 60 and an UW of 34 (BW = 47, 9 grams higher than
your ultimate target of 38 grams) then with the springs attached and
tensioned to 9 grams worth of reduction the new UW will be 25 grams (34 –
9 = 25).  Set a 25 gram weight on the note and adjust the tension in the
spring until it will lift 25 grams.  No need to check the DW as it will
change proportionately.  You can also do this with the DW instead of the
UW but I prefer the UW.  It’s an argument for adjustable wippen springs
but then you have to use Tokiwa wippens.  But this way you don’t have to
worry about varying friction from note to note.   If the wippen assist
springs don’t go all the way to note 88 then in your weigh off you will
have a jump in the FW’s at that point.  That will create a change in the
inertia so you’ll have to add the missing assist springs if you want to
avoid that.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com