[CAUT] turbo wips

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Tue May 11 06:55:42 MDT 2010

Tokiwa or WNG installed screw adjustable wippen support springs come
with the springs set too tight out of the box.  The first step is to
back off the screw and bend the spring by closing the coil to loosen
the tension so that is is just catching the loop with minimal
tension, then tension up by turning down the screw.  This is similar
to the prebending step that is necessary when using screw adjustable
repetition springs.

Ideally the spring/loop angle should be close to right angle.  Renner
turbo wips and W,N&G part have spring/loop angles that are a bit on
the open side.  This can make re-hooking the loop difficult and
sometimes impossible after loosening the spring.  This is because
closing the coil can eat up some of the spring length.  Open angles
also put unnecessary tension on the loop  cord which could make the
adjustment less stable.

The solution is to use either longer springs or cut the slots deeper.
The latter is what Tokiwa does.   With Stanwood Custom installations,
the straps come out of holes in the flange which make for an ideal
angle.

David Stanwood