[CAUT] CAUT seminar? was Re: Preaching to the choir

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue May 11 21:04:02 MDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 7:56 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> Has the idea of having a CAUT weekend seminar ever been discussed?
> (Kinda like regional, but geared totally toward CAUT classes, as
> mentioned above, taught by CAUT's, for CAUTS)
> WIm

	It's been discussed. The intensive seminar idea is somewhat like
that, with a notion of a four day weekend. In any case, putting on
something like that requires a structure. As a PTG committee, we are
pretty limited in what we can do. Yes, we could come up with a plan
and submit it to the board asking for a budget. We would have to argue
why money should be spent for the benefit of this little elite portion
of the organization and the like.
	But it would be far better to have an independent entity to put on
events, either along the lines of a regional body or a sort of "at-
large" chapter. Either type of entity would require a by-laws change,
as I read the by-laws. Essentially there needs to be an autonomous
body capable of collecting money and spending it, in order to make
things happen. Preferably a body that people could "join and pay dues"
to build up a kitty.
	I am convinced there is demand for such training. Whether or not
there is enough energy and will to make it happen remains to be seen.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain