[CAUT] CAUT seminar? was Re: Preaching to the choir

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed May 12 14:02:55 MDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Allan Gilreath, RPT wrote:

> So, we have members of PTG who join and pay dues and we have a
> committee of the organization charged to do these items with the
> resources of the Piano Technicians Guild Board, Institute, Home
> Office, Council, Membership, etc. and I see no reason why these
> events, programs, publications, etc. can't be accomplished as a
> committee or why there would be reason to assume there would be an
> argument.

Hi Allan,
	It is certainly doable that way, but a far more cumbersome process,
adding further layers of complexity, and requiring a considerably
longer time line to do planning. And it depends a great deal on the
makeup of the board and execcom at the time - also on personnel on the
caut committee itself, appointed by the president. There are any
number of political factors that could easily come into play, changing
the picture dramatically from one year to the next.
	Looking at it from a practical perspective, I believe it would be far
more efficient and predictable to have an independent entity,
especially for long term success. Not to mention many other possible
activities. One that I have thought of is to underwrite programs at
regional seminars (pay some expenses and per diem to make things
possible), or even at national.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu