[CAUT] Steinway D Case Repair & Refinishing (Institutional)

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu May 13 07:52:36 MDT 2010

Paul-

Start by going to Auto Zone and spend an hour studying the body repair (auto
body, that is) section. Maybe someone in the store is the resident expert.

The first step will be filling and leveling the big gouge.

Plan on spraying a lot of paint, and with satin ebony, just spray it on the
piano and see how it looks. If it's not so good, let it dry, sand a little
and spray the next on top.

Satin ebony is a very forgiving finish. Do your best, and if you don't like
it, sand it smooth and try again. It won't hurt to build up extra layers of
black paint! This is a great learning project. Protect the piano well, and
go to it.

I think your best blend would be to work around the tail, thinning out as
you go, but if you had a really good match, you could stop sooner.

Ed