[CAUT] Steinway D Case Repair & Refinishing (Institutional)

Stan Kroeker smkroeker at shaw.ca
Thu May 13 09:12:20 MDT 2010

Lots of great tips on this thread, folks!  Here's another one (...
well ... maybe it's not so great).

I like to keep the repair area as small as possible (learned that
lesson from years of polyester repair) and always surround the gouge
with a layer of masking tape.  This not only keeps the filler (I
always use catalyzed autobody filler) within about a millimeter of the
edge of the gouge but it also leaves the patch slightly above the
surface of the panel.  There is always some shrinkage with this stuff
and depending how deep the gouge is the repair can often be done with
only one application of filler.  Using a sanding block no bigger than
the size of the gouge minimizes the overlap onto the undamaged surface.

On edges or corners I clamp a wax-paper wrapped wood block, flush with
one surface for the putty knife to slide against in order to get a
neat patch without big blobs of excess filler.  The less you put on,
the less you have to sand off ... drywall taper's rule?

For quick staining of scratches or edge rub-throughs, a permanent
marker works well and doesn't preclude future filling/touch-ups.  This
isn't a repair but in a pinch keeps your eye from being drawn to the
white wood beneath the finish.

Best regards to all,

Stan Kroeker, RPT