[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement Requirements Misperception - was Preaching to the Choir

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri May 14 22:01:58 MDT 2010

Paul said

How do we convince the highest ranks of wallets to believe us? That's where the monies are, and that's what makes the music schools go. Those are the Foundation members, Boards of Regents, or whatever drives your university dollars.  It is their wallets and hearts we must hit, not just letters at the end of our names.

Unfortunately, universities only recognize education from one of their own kind. We are not hired as educators. Educators can show, on paper, the degrees they have gotten, the papers they have written, classes they attended, and courses they have taught at various institutes of higher education. All of which took years to attain. That is why college administrators are not going to be impressed when we come in and show we attended a week long manufacture's training session or attended a weekend seminar and took a 3 hour class on voicing.

As Jeff said, most of us are hourly employees who fall into a wage scale that only pays a small amount of money. Once in a while we can get a music school administrator to go to bat for us to try to get more money for the position, but that doesn't happen very often. Case in point is when I was hired at Alabama. The previous tech was considered full time, although he only worked 30 hours a week, and made $26,000 a year. It took the chair of the music department, (a piano professor), 6 months to convince the dean and provost to make the piano tuning position full time at a salary of $40,000 a year. During my tenure at UA, I attended all of Steinways concert prep courses, for which the school paid, but all I got every year was a small cost of living increase.  The current chair of the department is a French horn professor, and he doesn't have a vested interest in making sure the pianos are take care of. So as soon as I left, the dean cut the funds for the full time position, and allocated only $25,000 to take care of the instruments, including tuning fees and parts.

What it all boils down to is that getting certification, endorsements, showing we attended seminars, etc, for the most part is not going to give us raises. The only thing we can do is send information to music school administrators that if they want their pianos to play and sound like they would be proud to have an Emanuel Ax visit them, they need to hire experienced piano technicians, who make x number of dollars a year. It's mostly ignorance, that is keeping the price low. It would be in our best interest to educate the schools.

Wim