[CAUT] Professional Development

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat May 15 09:25:20 MDT 2010

Richard-

As I have watched the "endorsement debate" over two years, I have felt that perhaps we would do better to develop a master syllabus covering all skills and knowledge applicable to piano technology. This master syllabus would be more than any one person would master, but would supply a framework within which each person could structure a lifelong learning plan.

The syllabus could reach out to include and benefit from topics that are taught elsewhere (such as wood technology, acoustics, music theory and history of furniture decoration, to suggest a few). PTG would not have to develop texts or classes on these topics. PTG would then be able to recognize the topics we can best address, and develop a long range plan to develop PTG material where the need is greatest. We could gradually experiment to find ways of learning this material that are appropriate to the 21st century, and that let us take the role of maintaining and advancing our craft.

Meanwhile, each member who cared to learn could be creating his or her personal curriculum. As this project proceeded, it could give new meaning to the RPT credential, as I hope we would create a class of lifelong learners within our profession. If the testing was kept meaningful and manageable, each RPT would be building an individual class resume, which might be of assistance in the development of "specialties" or "endorsements."

The Grand Regulation text which you have been developing would be one part of this project. I have some thoughts about how this text could be used to create a new kind of class, a sort of RPT seminar in grand regulation. I also have hopes that other texts (perhaps Capleton's Tuning book, for one) could be used in a seminar form, perhaps in an on-line seminar, or an on-line discussion that follows up a face-to-face seminar. But these ideas are secondary to the idea of developing a master syllabus from which they would emerge.

Ed Sutton