[CAUT] CAUT endorsement

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon May 17 14:31:53 MDT 2010

Jim:

I think familiarity is a big thing in the preference for Steinway.  Pianists and organists are the only ones who have to play a "strange" instrument when they do a concert.  Everyone else (violinists, cellists, trombonists.....) take their own favorite instrument to play.  Pianists play what's there.  Seeing a piano that is familiar makes them more comfortable.  None of us is naïve enough to believe that all Steinways are alike or all are wonderful, but they are familiar.

Steinway's push for All Steinway School status is very smart.  This prepares yet another generation of pianists who are the most familiar with Steinway.

I have not been taught - by PTG or anyone else - that Steinway is a bad piano.  When someone does set themselves up as "The Best" they are inviting pot shots.  Even more so when you uncover some truly substandard work on a new instrument.  When one claims the highest ground one has to maintain that consistently or you will take some hits from those who know.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>