[CAUT] CAUT endorsement

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu May 20 21:46:12 MDT 2010

Jeff,

I understand your point, but I don't understand why the endorsement wouldn't
hold water?  I'd respectfully suggest that "PTG" doesn't teach other ways of
rebuilding & maintaining S&S.  The classes teach ways of rebuilding and
maintaining pianos.  S&S?  OK.  Yamaha?  OK.  Kawai?  OK.  I think the
problem is again that PTG classes teach multiple methods for dealing with
commonly and not so commonly encountered problems in pianos.  We apply
solutions to the pianos we work on.  To take that as the PTG endorsing
non-S&S practices for S&S pianos is a stretch.  The PTG is not the S&S rep,
and has no business or need to "take a stand" for "the right way" to service
S&S pianos.

Further, having been to NY and discussed some of these issues with the guys
in the selection room, and the C&A dept., and seeing that THEY don't always
agree with either the "company line" for prep, or with each other is
telling.  We are technicians.  We solve problems.  Sometimes that means
going outside the box.  Even more troubling to me is that schools could
somehow interpret a broader education, and a wider array of piano servicing
skills as somehow more problematic.  That is tragic.  My feeling is that the
PTG classes help us develop as technicians and if a school is concerned
about getting a tech who will "walk the S&S line" with them, that is a
philosophical question that is easily discovered in the interview process.
As you said, not better, just different.  To phrase another way, a tech that
doesn't believe that every OEM practice needs to be adhered to when
servicing S&S is not categorically better or worse, just different.  The
weight of the endorsement should be independent of the desire to preserve
the OEM aesthetic, no?  If the school is on-board with "All S&S", look for
the endorsement, then ascertain whether the technician will adhere to the
philosophy.

William R. Monroe