[CAUT] Bore distances for Steinway L

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 27 09:17:25 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the plate height can vary on Steinways. I was told by the very top there that this is because it is handmade, and some variance is common. (Ha) Soooo.... I was also told that the stack may have to be raised, and have done so many times. It rarely changes the "magic line" too much, but .080 is what I raised one last week, and it worked out that all the specs are now spot-on. Brand new B, BTW. The right bore distance might give you a ½" tail (nope) so you nearly always have to suspect the stack height. All the regulation advice might not work.

What's you string height? Distance to center? It's easy to add a couple .040 punchings, put the stack back and try a couple samples. 5 minutes.

That's my 2 bits. Waiting for others to tear it apart...

Best,
Jim