[CAUT] Bore distances for Steinway L

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 28 22:42:41 MDT 2010

On May 27, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> The key level and dip is factory perfect, I've got the proper blow
> distance of 1.75". I can't get let off any closer than 1/4"!! The
> rebuild was done right and the plate is the same height as before.
> I've even tried to raise the blow a bit, and still can't get it to
> let off correctly.

Hi Paul,
	Just a quick comment here, on what may seem to be a side issue, but
it is pretty fundamental to my way of thinking. I always start with
letoff. It is the one thing that is not negotiable. Blow and dip are
then established to allow for enough aftertouch. Blow and dip figures
are a good starting point for roughing in, but they are both very much
negotiable.
	The standards, particularly for dip, are not really as precise as
they seem. When you see how people actually use the dip block, ask
questions, and analyze, you find that in most factories the block is
slightly below the neighboring keys - you are feeling for a slight and
even "edge" between the block and the neighboring key - and the block
is held very sensitively and lightly so as not to compress the front
punching felt. Compression of the felt is taken into account for
aftertouch.
	Bottom line, one person's 10 mm dip (light touch, slightly below
neighboring keys) may be 10.5 or more for someone else (heavy touch
and even with neighboring keys - I think most piano techs press down
too hard). And dip is probably lowest on the totem pole when it comes
to regulation specs (though an even aftertouch is right behind letoff
- dip must be set precisely and consistently). And blow is certainly
negotiable within 2-3 mm if not more. If you can't get enough
aftertouch, add 0.1 mm to dip, then 0.2 mm, then subtract 1 mm blow,
etc.
	This doesn't address your question directly, but maybe it will help
in bringing the problem into better organization and focus. I have
found that I can get virtually any piano I have faced into an
acceptable regulation without resorting to geometry changes (unless
changes have already been made by someone else who didn't know what he
was doing). Sometimes with new parts I will need to change drop
cushion felt/leather or letoff button thickness to get the regulation
I want (physical limitations of the screws' movement), and sometimes
the tails are too short and the checks can't really be raised enough
for decent check (20 - 30 years ago Steinway - raise them and you have
problems with shoulder felt bouncing on the checks at rest in the
tenor), but otherwise a decent compromise can generally be found, or
at least that is my experience.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel