[CAUT] nasty overtone?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 29 21:47:11 MDT 2010

Daniel Schreffler wrote:
ust put on a set of Renner blues on one Steinway "L'' and all
sounds
> nice , but there is a note at the treble break that has the most hideous
> high overtone. Why would 87 sound fairly well and one not. When I appied
> my finger to the aloqout on the keyboard side of the capo it went away,
> but as you know so did the demension of tone. Could someone help me with
> this?

What's to know? Tuned front duplexes have been repeatedly
demonstrated to be a less than sterling idea for a long time
because of their tendency to be noisy. The fix is to eliminate
that patent feature, and replace it with a continuous counter
bearing bar leaving the front duplexes as short as possible.
The patch is most effectively to apply "Pitchlock" couplers to
the duplex lengths. At least that's my call.
Ron N