[CAUT] nasty overtone

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun May 30 10:55:37 MDT 2010

 >>The Renners did fit nicely, but  there were a few bass hammers that looked a little out of place due to ,I was told , from the hammer warping. No problem, just popped it off and reamed a bit and fit it into place.

    Ok,  I don't understand what the bass hammers were doing, were these prehung by someone else? I haven't had a bass hammer ever warp.    No matter, that is not the source of your overtone.

>>If the capo bar needed some guitar fret file magic wouldnt all the hammers strike a nasty overtone?

           I don't think a fret radius is what you are looking for, but it would be good to take a close look at the capo bar surface. There have been occasional sand pockets in these castings, you may have a really iffy termination.  If not, perhaps you have an almost perfect match between the top string and the speaking length and the short one can't resist singing along.
     You can change the capo section's behavior (sometimes) with a kink in the string at about 1/3 of its length. I use a thinned down string hook and rather than raising upwards, I ttwist the tool to create a lateral zig-zag in the wire.  This changes its resonant period, hopefully to something that isn't coming in on the longitudinal wave.  It also slightly changes the wire's approach angle to the capo, which sometimes is of benefit in quieting the demons.
   And then there is the other stuff,  a drop or two of CA can sometimes damp an overtone.  A big wad of hard felt,(whatever is close at hand) stuffed under the overhang,(let's admit it, we've all done it),  I favor gaffers tape.  It can be placed in a variety of ways to attenuate the activity of these open strings.
   And sometimes, we have to know when to quit and figure out some way that somebody else can take over the attempt.  How much money do we want to spend on a possiblly never ending problem?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

Please note I am not the nasty overtone I just want to see what others think about one nasty overtone. Remember all the others are fine. Everything has been tapped and pulled and measured,and massaged.
I thank you for all of you educated and non hostal replies.
Peace {i hope}
Dan