[CAUT] baldwin concert grand

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun May 30 13:52:44 MDT 2010

I have tuned and worked on a 1970 Baldwin SD10 with fittings a little
like these. It started out with extreme tuning instability, in the
capo sections. I figured out how to bring it to a more stable
situation, over time. One could say that this piano and I tuaght each
other concert prep.

First, your stability problem almost certainly comes from a lot of
friction in the pressure points between the front segments of the
strings, causing poor rendering. You can get it a lot better by
hauling off on your settling blows and giving the strings a good
wallop, several times. Of course be sure the letoff is sufficient, so
you don't go breaking shanks. When this is done repeatedly over time,
tuning after tuning, stability greatly improves.

Second, you can improve rendering a lot. I wrote an article in the
Journal about what I did to this piano, in June 2000. I called it
"Freshening Strings". The fittings on your Baldwin might not be quite
the same as mine -- I believe they changed some of it over time. Mine
had a fairly large radius curve for the main bearing, a longish
duplex in front of it, then the strings each went into their own long
curved grooves and from  there to the tuning pin. There was a lot of
drag in those grooves, plus the pretty blunt front bearing tended to
get tiny grooves in it (though it was very hard metal) which led to
zings and jangles when played loud.

I slacked the strings all the way (one note at a time), pushed them
to one or the other side, polished the main bearing with a strip of
medium emery cloth shoeshine style (it turned shiny bright,
mirror-like), then rubbed graphite from a 6B pencil into the grooves.
Rendering improved amazingly, plus the zings eased up. Thinking about
it, I realized that by slacking everything off, and then pulling the
strings back in, I was assuring that the wire at all the bearing
points was fresh, because even if one wanted to, it would be
impossible to pull the strings back to exactly the same position as
before. Inevitably, if slacked this far off, some wire would wander
around the hitch pin as one gradually pulled up first one side, then
the other. Hence "freshening strings."

It was slightly scary trying all this, but nothing broke and the
results were excellent. The piano became far more stable, the tone
improved, people actually liked the thing. One Russian guy,
adjudicating for the state teachers convention, actually chose it for
his recital over our quite nice new Steinway D.

Hope this is of help ...

Susan Kline