[CAUT] dowd harpsichord parts?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 1 13:33:36 MDT 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 8:55 AM, John Minor wrote:

> Anyone know a source for replacement jack tongues for a Dowd
> harpsichord?
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois

	The usual reason to need new tongues is that the spring breaks. I
don't remember if Dowd tongues have plastic springs, but I came up
with an efficient way to attach new springs to plastic tongues.
1) Saw a kerf (exacto saw) about 1 cm long where the old spring left
the tongue (along the back of the tongue)
2) Drill a tiny hole at the end of the kerf
3) Take a short length of thin wire (.008" or so) and make a 90 degree
bend 2 mm from the end
4) Insert that bend in the hole, and press the wire into the kerf
5) Melt the plastic with a heat controlled soldering iron to secure
the wire in the kerf
6) Make a curve in the wire where it will bear on the jack, cut away
excess.
7) Adjust the curvature for clearance and appropriate strength.
	This goes very fast once you have the tools and supplies assembled.
The only thing I haven't mentioned is a vice to hold the tongue while
sawing, drilling and melting.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu