[CAUT] Deskframe Felt

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Sep 10 10:03:53 MDT 2010

Yes, same stuff for that purpose. Pianoforte Supply sells it in strips
for the purpose - over size, so you need to trim it. Looks good
(assuming you prepare a flat surface to glue it to) and lasts well.
And Pianotek has it, I forget how offhand, but by the yard is one
option. I haven't purchased any from Pianotek as I already had a stock
from Jurgen.
Fred
On Sep 10, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Paul Milesi, RPT wrote:

> Anne & Fred-
>
> I am referring to the length of felt used across the frame piece
> where the
> bottom of the music actually sits and rubs, not the ends of the
> frame.  On
> these pianos, it's a flat area about 1-1/2 to 2" wide by 34" long
> (guessing)
> or so.   Like I said, the Steinway deskframe felt is not long enough.
> Thought about using a couple pieces, end-to-end, but you'll see the
> seam.
>
> Should it be something other than felt, like leather or ecsaine?
> What's
> original on there is almost rubbery, but disintegrating.  Ecsaine
> might
> work.
>
> Paul
> --
> Paul Milesi
> Registered Piano Technician (RPT)
> (202) 667-3136
> (202) 246-3136 Cell
> E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com
> Website:  http://www.pmpiano.com
>

>> From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
>> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:32:20 -0600
>> To: <caut at ptg.org>
>> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Deskframe Felt
>>
>> Likewise - very durable. And I would add that application of some
>> powdered teflon is a good idea. They slide much more easily and don't
>> wear as much. Brush McLube on the surface as a non-white alternative.
>> I assume you are referring to the felt at the ends of the frame, that
>> bear on the supports attached to the rim.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fred Sturm
>> fssturm at unm.edu
>> "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain
>> On Sep 10, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Garee, Anne E. wrote:
>>
>>> Paul,
>>> We have discovered the black Ecsaine from Pianotek which works very
>>> well
>>> for not only desks but lid logs, bumpers, etc.  We've also used it
>>> cover and/or buffer the trim piece above the plate at the stretcher
>>> for
>>> noise abatement.  It is sold by the yard catalog  # FEB-223.
>>> Anne
>>>

>>> Anne Garee, Program Director for Piano Technology
>>> Florida State University College of Music
>>> 122 N. Copeland Street
>>> Tallahassee, FL 32306-1180
>>> 850-645-7873
>>> agaree at fsu.edu
>>> http://music.fsu.edu/Areas-of-Study/Piano-Technology

>>> that.  Nice, but it's not long enough.  I ended up replacing the
>>> stuff