[CAUT] sostonuto markings

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 13:39:36 MDT 2010

This is for the pianists on this list.

In the last week I had to explain to two different customers what the sostonuto pedal was for. Both are somewhat accomplished piano players, but neither had ever heard of the pedal, much less knew how to use it. After the explanation, they both asked the same question, to which I had no answer. How is it marked in the music?

I know about the ped. and *  markings, for regular pedal markings, but is there something else that would indicate when the sostonuto pedal is to be used?

Wim