[CAUT] sostonuto markings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Sep 13 13:46:50 MDT 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 1:39 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> I know about the ped. and *  markings, for regular pedal markings,
> but is there something else that would indicate when the sostonuto
> pedal is to be used?
>
> Wim

Some 20th century composers mark places they intend sostenuto to be
used with a 2 or II for second pedal (and they use 1/I and 3/III for
the other pedals), usually with a footnote or introductory note
explaining this usage. There are also a couple symbols I have seen,
and the abbreviation sost. But much of the time, it is implied, by
having a low bass note or chord tied over a number of measures, when
it obviously can't be held down with the finger(s) and when the damper
pedal obviously needs to be cleared. This is the case, as I recall,
with Debussy's Prelude, book 1, La Cathédrale Engloutie, which is the
piece in which I first used it (probably true of lots of pianists).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu