[CAUT] Broken agraffe

Don Mannino dmannino at kawaius.com
Wed Sep 15 13:43:24 MDT 2010

Jeff,

The "fish tail" screwdriver method is under-used.  It really does work in many cases.  I have also done a similar thing using a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel to cut a positive slot in the agraffe stem, then use a blade screwdriver to turn it out.  This is a problem if the stem is too deep in the plate, of course.

As others said, long drill bits can work.  If it's jammed and you need a reverse drill bit that could be a problem getting a long one.

I have also drilled up from the bottom with a right-angle drill.  No need to use a reverse drill - if the agraffe breaks loose it will spin up nicely.  Getting yourself aligned properly is tricky, but doing a careful center punch and using good lights and a mirror on the keybed will help a lot.

Don Mannino