[CAUT] Backcovers?

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Wed Sep 22 08:31:03 MDT 2010

Yes, in fact I was part of a controlled before-and-after test.  We
measured RH swings with a data logger for a week in winter on a C3
(grand) with a full DC system, then added the undercover and measured
again.  The range of humidity high/low points was reduced by about a
third.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but for example if the
system before was controlling humidity within a 30% range (+/- 15%) it
improved to a 20% range (+/- 10%).

It's easy to install backcovers on uprights with Mark Cramer's idea of
heat-activated hemming tape.  Essentially it's just a strip of hot
glue with paper on one side.  You iron it on, let it cool, pull off
the paper, tack on the cover with excess on the sides and bottom, iron
it in place, and then trim to fit.  I have pictures of an installation
I did yesterday if there's interest.

The Dampp-Chaser covers are like speaker cloth, and breathe.  An added
benefit for grands is that it keeps kids and animals from getting into
the system.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM