[CAUT] Backcovers?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Wed Sep 22 05:32:00 MDT 2010

Well, I was really proud last spring (pride goes before a fall), to seem to have those 9 Kawai UST-9's finally stable.   Wrong!  When I went to tune there this past weekend, the relative humidity was in the 70%  range, three of the DamppChasers were unplugged.  The stage manager was complaining about one of the curtains, which is 5" above the floor level (up from 1"), due to the RH.   The pianos were around 25 cents sharp at the low end of the treble bridge.  The RH inside the pianos with working DC's was in the 60% range.   The pianos I tuned the week before sounded awful.

I think I should try back covers.   Does anyone have any experience with them?  I have used heavy duty plastic on the backs of numerous pianos, but never any of the professional covers.  Thank you for recommendations!

Diane Hofstetter