[CAUT] Algebra follow up

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 10:12:20 MDT 2010

If you would like a little brain teaser related to our line of work and perhaps
amaze your (piano tech) friends, pose the following question:

What is the note name  of the (n)th partial of a given note. It can be caculated
mentally. and though prime numbers can be used, generally do not bother with
them. Ignore the pitch location. Example:

What is the note name of the 100th partial of C?
Ans. G#

or

What is the note name of the 36th partial of F#?
Ans. G#

How is this done? I am sure you can figure it out.

Ted S