[CAUT] steinway upright regluation problem

J H jlhservice at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 08:40:15 MDT 2010

Hi all - I recently tuned a small S&S console from the 40's (the little
short ones, somewhat decorative case).  The hammers/keys returned to rest
very very slowly when the damper pedal was being used, and it was noticeable
even without the pedal engaged.  Other than newer hammers, it's all
original.  The hammers seemed a little oversized for the piano.  So, I have
checked everything: hammer flange center pins and return springs, wippen
flange centerpin, jack centerpin and springs, capstans for buildup/residue,
keybushings, key balance hole, dampers, everything.  No problems with
sluggishness anywhere.  Each part of the action, the hammer, wippen, and
keystick operates fine independently.  The hammer/wippen actions operate
just fine when you remove the key and push up on the capstan pad.  The only
problem is when you introduce the key.  It really seems like things are
binding up at the capstan pads.  So, could wear and tear cause the cap/pads
to bunch up and throw off the regulation geometry?  The cap/pads are pretty
worn and "dimpled".  Could the larger replacement hammers change the way an
upright hammer returns to rest?  Did I miss something?  The customer
probably won't even notice this but it's bothering me that I couldn't figure
it out.

Thanks!
Jeremy