[CAUT] steinway upright regluation problem

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 11:28:13 MDT 2010

Hi Jeremy,

This is a problem I have never seen mentioned, in print or anywhere else, yet is
not that uncommon. Sometimes it is so severe that some keys will not return to
rest at all.It is mostly confined to consoles, but I have seen it in a Steinway
1098. The reason is that the keys are too front heavy, or, as in a piano made
here in Canada, the capstans have been installed too far forward. The latter can
be determined from the wear mark on the wippen cloth. In the past I moved the
capstans on many of these.

A sure test is to sit at the piano and depress both pedals. This ensures that
the weight of the wippens alone is on the keys. Next, depress all the keys,
using both hands in clusters. The weight of the wippens should return all the
keys all the way. Back weighting the keys will increase the toughweight of
course, but I usually found that the butt springs are too strong. They should
not be horizontal when slipped out o the butt notch, but in theory about 45 deg
,so weakening them will compensate for the increased touchweight. Should the
capstans have to be moved the touchweight increases too, and in addition, the
keydip might need to be increased, though a better and simpler solution is to
reduce the hammer blow distance. Otherwise there will be bobbling hammers.
The reason this happens in consoles lies in the key design; if we compare the
keys from a taller piano, we see that there is usually an added block at the key
end to carry a capstan screw or a dowel. In the smaller piano the key is
possibly cut down at the back in order to reduce height, and moreover, it does
not have the added block. Not surprisingly these keys are poorly balanced, and
in the case of the piano I mentioned, the maker stubbornly refused to weight
their keys, preferring to drill the capstan screws in the wrong place. I know
they sent out their techs to fix complaints, and they would try to fix the
problem by increasing the strength of the butt springs. Didn't work. If a wippen
alone will not return the key, the jack will not reset under the butt.

Hope this helps, Ted Sambell