[CAUT] Yahama YUS 5

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 19:44:18 MST 2011

This was in the Hoffman pianos, made by Euterpe, and acquired by Bechstein. As
you say, very slick indeed. Though I take a somewhat jaundiced view of the
muffler rail. If it gets used, it wears out quickly, and if not, why have it.
Musically it is useless, and the rationale  it is there for apartment dwellers
makes little sense. If it were a valid need for the piano, why is it not in
grands too? The truth is that it is there to give the middle pedal something to
do, and is cheaper than the unlamented bass damper lift, which has all but
disappeared.Of course,  the marketers would scream if piano makers simply did
the sensible thing and eliminated the middle pedal in verticals altogether, or
used it exclusively for the sostenuto as is being done now in the more expensive
instruments. A generation ago a prominent UK music educator, Tobias Matthay,
likened the 'celeste' pedal, as it is called in England to "a dog barking with
its head in a sack". Evidently he was not impressed with its celestial
qualities. But I have to admit "celeste" was a brilliant selling tactic If a
customer insisted on  a muffler rail it could made optional or retrofitted.

Ted Sambell