[CAUT] Hailun soundboards

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Feb 10 00:29:44 MST 2011

Whether the mainstream industry is yet ready to acknowledge this reality,
laminated soundboards are finally coming into their own. No matter what
competitors might say about them, they increasing use is inevitable. And as
far as I'm concerned it can't be happening soon enough.

It was obvious to me back in the 1980s that, designed decently, laminated
soundboards have the potential to at least equal, if not surpass, the
performance of the so-called "solid" spruce soundboards. This is especially
true in low- to mid-range pianos where the standards for spruce are
not-despite what the four-color-glossy tells us-as high as they once were.
The standards and specifications for "soundboard" spruce has steadily
decline over the past 40+ years; some of the stuff now going into pianos
would, not all that long ago, have been considered suitable only for pallets
or apple crates. And this situation is not going to improve anytime soon.

With laminated soundboard construction offering so many practical and proven
performance benefits it is beyond my comprehension that so many
manufacturers chose to remain so ignorant about their potential and so
recalcitrant about accepting and using them.

We see the same thing going on with "plastic" piano actions except that here
there is even more hypocrisy. On more than one occasion I've heard piano
salespeople denigrated the Kawai plastic action and then expressing their
shock-Yes, shock!-at being shown that the pianos they are promoting also use
a few plastic action components. When plastic actions are mentioned we
naturally think first of Kawai but in fact many manufacturers have been
using plastic action components-flanges, jacks, damper levers, etc.-for some
time. We hear little about them because they rarely present problems (and
because most of them are cleverly colored to match the surrounding wood
components). As with the laminated soundboard, the increasing transition to
plastics of various sorts in piano actions is also inevitable as the cost of
woods suitable for action making becomes increasingly scarce-read,
"expensive." As with the laminated soundboard, sooner or later all those
disparaging claims about the use of plastics in piano actions are going to
come back to haunt.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication