[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 10 15:33:03 MST 2011

On 2/10/2011 2:56 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> How often have you received a bum set of hammers from Steinway NY?

Never happens. This is the first time any of us have ever heard of such
a thing.

  >I've
> tried every trick in the book on the Steinway D I've been talking about
> over the past couple months, but no luck. They just don't want to
> respond. No charm, character or projection.

Refresh me. Why were they changed? If it was lack of charm, character,
and projection, it might be a clue.

> Thoughts? I'm really not liking the idea of scrapping these hammers, so
> if any of you have a last ditch approach, I'd love to hear it!

I haven't been following this closely, so I apologize if you've covered
this. Does substituting a shank/flange/hammer from a piano one you like
the sound of produce a similar sound in this piano on that note?
Ron N