[CAUT] clavichord

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 11 14:54:18 MST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> It's a mistake to think of early pianos as crude; some are highly
> sophisticated instruments by any standard, starting with Cristofori's.

Cristofori's were/are the opposite of crude: extraordinarily
sophisticated. But some of those early squares were, shall we say,
pretty basic. In one case, described by Pfeiffer, the hammer on a
shank rectangular in cross section, lying directly on the key, hinged
to the key with parchment. End of the shank sticking out beyond the
end of the key to hit against a bumper rail. That being the action in
total. I call that crude, comparatively speaking. Still, a functional
instrument. I'd also call the actions of the squares with "fixed
pilote" (a stiff wire with a leather bit on top that pushed the hammer
up, no escapement, no check) rather crude. The rest of the instrument
was usually sophisticated cabinetry, but the action was about as
unsophisticated as you can get. Once again, quite functional and also
important in getting the piano off the ground as an economically
viable product.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain