[CAUT] clavichord

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Fri Feb 11 15:40:38 MST 2011

Simplicity can be elegant as well as crude. The type Pfeiffer describes is
also represented at the Met, and while very simple or basic, it's really
cleverly designed and does its intended job efficiently and economically
(compact, few moving parts, quickly tuned, very low maintenance,
inexpensive, etc.). Of course design and workmanship are two different
aspects; an elegant design can be crudely executed. Every instrument
deserves to be judged individually on the basis of the maker's intent and
standards of its day. I'd guess there's a higher proportion of crudely-made
pianos being produced today than in 1800, and even fine makers occasionally
turn out a lemon. My point is that labeling a class of old instruments
'crude' by modern standards isn't fair and tends to inhibit appreciation of
their possible merits.
Laurence