[CAUT] NY hammers/ Hamberg hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 12 09:31:06 MST 2011

On 2/12/2011 10:07 AM, Brent Fischer wrote:

>  but it could be more symptomatic of bridge roll or
> loss of crown. There isn't much wiggle room over the years for the health
> of a force-crowned board and I witnessed a few Steinways in Texas that
> came out of the box with reversed crown, so why don't you measure it as
> well as the front to back bridge bearing so the discussion has a baseline.

That's why I asked why the hammers were being replaced in the first
place, and if it was perhaps because of tonal problems similar to those
being experienced now. The probability of it being largely a soundboard
problem is most certainly high enough to not ignore. So it needs looked at.

Yes, measure the crown, underneath, with a string stretched from rim to
rim between ribs. Measure all over the soundboard, as far up scale as
you can reach instead of just the longest rib. Keep track of what you
found where. Then measure the string bearing, at least the overall
bearing, in every place you took a crown measurement.

The more of this thread I've read, the less convinced I am that the
hammers are the problem. It's time for some real information.

Ron N