[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sat Feb 12 11:52:13 MST 2011

Brent,

Very good advice! And besides institutional hierarchy, the local Steinway dealer can also make life miserable for you by claiming that you have “bastardized” a Steinway by using non Steinway hammers. I’ve been branded of this, but Vince Mrykalo and Rick Baldassin (most of you will know them as top technicians) have also been criticized because of this.

The funny thing is that the we had two pianos in our concert hall, a Hamburg D and a NY D. They were saying how awful the Hamburg (i.e. Renner) hammers sounded compared to the NY, but they didn’t know that Vince had put Renner hammers on the NY! They also complained about a piano in a major concert hall that Rick had put Renner hammers on, and how bad it sounded. Vince took me to the hall and said “What do you think about this piano?” It was beautiful! Then he told me that THIS was the piano the dealer said was “ruined”.

So what Brent says is true, and one needs to be aware of the “politics” (my words) involved. In general, it’s safer to put brand X hammers on brand X pianos. I guess I’m in very good company with Rick Baldassin and Vince Mrykalo.

Jim