[CAUT] traveling refinements

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Sun Feb 13 07:02:03 MST 2011

>I don't see much difference. If there is paper under
>one corner of the flange, it will sort of "twist" the position of the
>flange, but the affect on the centerpin is really just to raise one
>side relative to the other as far as I can make out.

If a hammer only needs a slight bit of travel, I'll place a short
strip on the proximal side of the screw. The same strip placed
at the distal position has more effect.

One thing I have noticed for travelling Steinway shanks is that
it also helps with spacing if you do not extend the paper onto
the curved ends but keep it solely on the 'top' of the rail. This
allows the flange to have more lateral rotation (such that it can).

The paper being allowed to overhang the rail restricts positioning.
This is also true for the fine emery cloth I place on the rail, not to
let it extend over the edge.

Since doing this, I've noticed a more even flange alignment on the rail
and easier hammer spacing.

Regards,

Jon Page