[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sun Feb 13 11:21:01 MST 2011

I think I've tried just about every technique known to man- or woman-kind to
get the lacquer out including making a tray so I would soak the whole set of
hammers-strike surface down-in various thinners overnight. Sometimes my
initial reaction has been, "Oh, great, this is actually working!" only to
later find that I just can't get the resilience, the "bounce," back. At
best, I think I've been able to make some of them less bad. But less bad is
a far way from great.

For me the obvious solution is to not put the stuff in there to begin with.
If the piano has an appropriate and working soundboard and a half-way
reasonable scale it then becomes a question of choosing an appropriate
hammer to match. If I find myself in a situation where the hammers require
anything more than just a bit of hardening up in the high treble and, at
worst, a bit of light shoulder stiffening it's an indication that I chose
the wrong hammer. That, or the piano has serious problems. Or I have the
wrong client and my client has the wrong technician.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue