[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 08:40:00 MST 2011

 Hi Horace
 Ok, so its getting clearer.
 SO to be crysta,l are the hammers put upside down or crown down into a thinner solution bath and left submerged for 24 hours and then a fresh wash of stuff to hose down the entire set to wash the lac out after that?
   I'm curious. I learned from Jack Brand (during the Weickert felt trials) at Wurzen felt that wool fibers are hollow, which is why they can hold so much moisture. ie rugs, sweaters etc...... SO you see the lac. not only surrounds and stiffens the fibers on the outside but also on the inside.  With the hammer acting as a sponge like device how successful is the lacquer extraction process. IE. 100 %...50%.
 T'would seem like it will be difficult to persuade the felt fibers to release the internal saturation of hollow fibers.
  Thoughts. war stories?

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration