[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 13 11:25:35 MST 2011

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:40:00 -0500
Dale Erwin <erwinspiano at aol.com>:
>   Hi Horace
>   Ok, so its getting clearer.
>   SO to be crysta,l are the hammers put upside down or crown down into a thinner solution bath and left submerged for 24 hours and then a fresh wash of stuff to hose down the entire set to wash the lac out after that?
>     I'm curious. I learned from Jack Brand (during the Weickert felt trials) at Wurzen felt that wool fibers are hollow, which is why they can hold so much moisture. ie rugs, sweaters etc...... SO you see the lac. not only surrounds and stiffens the fibers on the outside but also on the inside.  With the hammer acting as a sponge like device how successful is the lacquer extraction process. IE. 100 %...50%.
>   T'would seem like it will be difficult to persuade the felt fibers to release the internal saturation of hollow fibers.
>    Thoughts. war stories?

Dale,

About two years ago we "rinsed out" a
set of pre-lacquered NY Steinway hammers
that never did voice up right on one of
our concert hall "D"s here at San
Francisco State. We followed the
procedure recommended by Fred Sturm - I
believe that I posted about it here on
CAUT, so you can find it all in the
archives. Since there was no way of
telling how the hammers sounded before
the factory juicing, there is no way of
telling how large a percentage of the
solids actually got rinsed out. We did
both lacquer thinner rinses and Acetone
rinses - since it was possible that what
was used at the factory might have been
some sort of plastic...  All I know is
that the hammers ended up being softer -
a lot softer - than when we got them
from the factory.

The end of the story is that we did not
reuse these hammers on the same piano,
but put them on a much older "D" in the
orchestra rehearsal room - where I was
able to get them up to adequate tone,
juicing from scratch. On the stage piano
we put a set of vintage 1990's NY
Steinway factory hammers - which we had
on the shelf - and which gave us better
(though somewhat underwhelming) results.
Now, after a year+ of miscellaneous use
(jazz, pop, accompaniment, classes), the
tone is starting to come in nicely - to
the point that students and visiting
artists are again choosing this piano.
Faculty are still sticking with their