[CAUT] NY hammers/ Hamburg hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Feb 13 12:04:03 MST 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 6:25 AM, Avery Todd wrote:

> Somehow I missed this part of the thread. I understand the squaring
> thing from the Shigeru tech up to the point of what Ed suggested.
> Could you or he elaborate on the "every other hammer" thing? I'm not
> doing much of this anymore since I retired from U of H, but who
> knows. <grin> Thanks.

Did you catch the photos I posted? (They help a lot) A strip of wood
is inserted to hold up every other hammer, to the point that the
shanks of the raised hammers are even with the crowns of the
neighboring ones. The raised hammers are centered between their
neighbors, using a flange tool, or screwdriver if necessary. This
needs to be done very precisely, judging the gaps on either side as
being equal. A solid back drop helps (fallboard). Your eye needs to be
precisely centered on the hammer, which can be judged by looking at
the insides of the two neighboring hammers. You should see the same
amount of the inside of each hammer. For the angled hammers, you are
not sighting down the shank, but must have your eye in line with the
angle of the hammer.
	Once the raised hammers of that section have all been centered
between neighbors, remove the strip of wood and let them fall back to
rest position. Now check the spacing between the crowns: that is, the
spacing of those same hammers between the crowns of their neighbors.
Even numbered hammers, for instance, if that's where you started -
keep track. If they are spaced unevenly, burn to correct, to center
each one. Now do the other half of the hammers the same way.
	Note that the "crowns of the neighboring hammers" are simply position
holders, fixed reference points. It is irrelevant how square or
unsquare those neighboring hammers are. You can ignore everything
about those hammers except for the position of the crowns. Do not
worry about the hammers all being parallel until you are done with the
whole process. If you do it right, they will be beautifully parallel
and nicely spaced (though they will have to be re-aligned to the
strings - actually I find that aligning to strings goes a lot faster
with a new set of hammers if I do this process first).
	Also, it is absolutely essential that traveling has been refined
before you do this.
	Does that make it clear?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel