[CAUT] NY hammers/ Hamburg hammers

Bob Maret itunepiano at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 15:45:48 MST 2011

 Thanks for the squaring info - I'm working on a pre-hung set of Steinway hammers on a 1992 D right now.     I don't think this hammer set was pre-lacquered in the factory, given the amount of juice I've used.

This D has a high plate as well.  I had shimmed the stack for the old hammers and left the shims in for the time being with the new hammers.   The action plays ok, but I'm looking for Shigeru Kawai smooth, and it's not that - yet.

I wonder if I should remove the shims from under the stack, and re reg the action, now that I have hammers with a bit more meat on them?  After all, it must have worked well when brand new, right?

I bedded the frame, set key height and dip per spec and it played like a truck.   So I lowered the glides to raise the key height 2mm, re set the dip, and it's markedly better, but not quite there.  I can't raise the keys much more or there will be fallboard clearance issues, both at the bottom of the fall, and bottom of the stretcher.  Besides, I'm already springing the key frame a bit lowering the glides more than spec.

By the way, this action has WNG aluminum capstans, due to heavy touch with the old hammers.

Bob Maret
UCF