[CAUT] traveling refinements

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Feb 14 08:24:14 MST 2011

Hi-

I know my traveling technique is probably not standard at all but it's
worked well for me long enough.  I use either masking tape or colored
painters tape cut into narrow strips, then I always remove each flange every
time as needed.  The tape stays exactly where I want it and also is easy to
remove later if desired.  Sometime in the late 80's Franz Mohr taught me
(us) at the factory training seminar class  to actually trim or shave a bit
off the corner of a flange if it was tightening down to one side too much.
I did that for a long time but now like the cross tape method of solving
this problem much better. It's more accurate without making permanent
changes to the wood.  I never could understand that thick paper they use at
the factory.  On pianos I service regularly I'll often leave at least part
of a strip of that tape on the back side of an end block, for example, for
quick easy access in the future.

best,

Dennis Johnson