[CAUT] Steinway rebuilds

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 16:09:06 MST 2011

:-)

In a message dated 2/14/2011 4:50:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Yipes,  I think I know how you meant that but I wouldn’t say that’s quite
a fair  characterization.  Not even sure where to begin but this gets into
dangerous territory about trying to characterize all Steinways, comment on
what the Steinway sound is or on alternative rebuilding procedures in one
breath.  Steinway failures are the favorite whipping boy lately but not  all
Steinways sound bad or have failed killer octave problems (we should also
be careful to distinguish between Steinway executions of 1920 and 2000—there
are differences).  Not all RC&S boards have perfect treble sections
either.  The open characteristics that can be present in a compression  crowned
board with light rib scales can by  squelched by an RC&S  board that puts too
much emphasis on not being overdriven or fails to account  for the
stiffening characteristics that the panel contributes in spite of the  calculations
which tend to ignore it.  Grain angles, rib feathering  procedures and
patterns, bass and treble cut off bars all contribute to the  entire tonal
envelope but the devil is in the details and there are a wide  range of choices and
outcomes possible in RC&S boards some favorable some  not.   Some of the
boards I’ve heard that I liked the least were  ones that were overbuilt to
insure adequate rib support (and I’m not talking  about Dale’s projects).
These pianos, in fact, I liked less than some cc  boards with slightly
compromised killer octaves.  Identifying specific  tonal goals and how to get there
is very tricky business.  But I think it  has less to do with cc versus RC&S
and more to do with understanding the  strengths and limitations of each
and how the specific design features and  choices impacts the tone generally.
Sometimes what seems like a good  idea on paper doesn’t really translate to
a musical outcome, one that makes  the piano best suited for what it’s
really designed to do which is interpret  music.  Sometimes a board that can be
overdriven is desirable or at least  should be achievable if the artist
wants it, for example.  Having  explored a number of design “plans” in
different iterations from full blown  all the bells and whistles to more modest
approaches, I can say that more and  more I find myself treading more cautiously
with certain design features not  because they don’t make sense but because
the way in which they can alter  certain musical aspects of the piano into
which they are incorporated.   But that doesn’t mean that new designs and
approaches can’t produce musical  outcomes indistinguishable from more
traditional ones or that traditional ones  necessarily guarantee any particular
result either.

David  Love
www.davidlovepianos.com