[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Feb 14 16:56:35 MST 2011

David,

Sorry. I guess I was trying to stir the pot a bit. <G> We’ve been here many times before…

I’ve been in the selection room in NY and the tone was all over the place with Bs but not quite as much with Ds, in my opinion. What I was hinting at is our worn out question; don’t Ds in concert halls, as well as the Steinway C&A Ds have a certain characteristic tone that is “Steinway”? I agree with what you said below that we have the ability to reproduce it (last sentence below) but nearly all the rebuilds I’ve heard are not like Steinway. Nor do they try to be. That’s why (I think) Brent made his statements. Not in disrespect to anyone, but who might better duplicate the “Steinway sound” if there is such an animal, than Steinway? Now I’ll bow out and let all the retorts fly. <G>

Best,
Jim

p.s. I’ve never sent a piano to Steinway for rebuilding, although I quite like them.