[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 18:11:45 MST 2011

Yes, we have been there and I think I knew what you were getting at.  At some risk I think there is a sound.  It can vary some of course, but I would characterize it generally as open and deriving from a soundboard assembly that leans to the lighter side.   The rebuilds that I hear that really differ are not necessarily those that employ different bellying methods (cc versus RC&S) but those that vary the overall stiffness of the assembly by use large cutoff bars, heavier rib scales, steeper grain angles and/or scale changes which collectively tend to produce a less free and tighter sound.  Not a bad sound but a more controlled one in which the upper end (fff) is more restricted.  Now I think I better bow out and let the retort’s fly.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com