[CAUT] Steinway rebuilds

Brent Fischer brent.fischer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 18:07:59 MST 2011

Hello William,
     Let me explain my position and address my alleged pedantic attitude.Since not claiming to be as smart as most here I had to look the word upand am pleased. One who is overly concerned with precision is onedefinition, thank you, just don't look at my damper work.     For a number of reasons the factory stringing techniques are inadequate and lack care. So that's why I said I will string and drill them myself. They are still having loose pin issues and I don't know why. The integrity of the blocks are fine, but my success wasdrilling slow with a .257 but now I would go smaller to a .254. Trustbut verify is my motto.  The larger issue about what I am saying, andI have said it before.  It's not that hard to build a high quality board bya number of great rebuilders in this country but it's much more difficultto build a bridge set and guess what, plugged bridges, or bridges that are routed down to the root and replaced with solid quarter-sawn
 wooddoesn't define custom or high quality in my experience.  I hope those out there that have jigged up for each Steinway model to build laminated bridges and have figured out how to rout a crown in the bridge that is slightly greater than that of the board should answer to the differences. I've drilled newSteinway bridges.  The hardness and consistency of new laminated maple is the standard I go by when comparing both but still more difficult is the bridge crowning issue. Depending on what model it can vary from three-eighthsto a half-inch and old bridges have little left in them.   As far as varnish on the board. If you are spraying lacquer with sealersyou might as well include damper chasers for both sides of the piano.It's semi-permeable as opposed to nearly impermeable with varnish anda good sealer is using fresh German shellac flakes obtainable from " Toolsfor Woodworking " in NYC. They have the best badger hair brushesas well. So
 that's my story William and I'm sticking to it. Better go causemy wife is in a fabulous mood and it's Valentines Day.
Brent