[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 14 19:09:25 MST 2011

Fred, you can see in this picture that the fibers have a scaly surface. My memory, unconfirmed by any direct experiments, is that the water absorption and also the attachment of sizings, such as lacquer or glue, has to do with these scales. At least a light sizing stiffens the fibers without actually gluing them together. This goes back to my interest in paper, and may not apply to piano hammers.
Ed Sutton