[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Feb 14 18:59:41 MST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 6:43 PM, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

> I'll try this again. Maybe the pics before were too large.

Yes, of course. I have similar photos from Stephen Birkett's website.
They show quite clearly that the fibers are not, in fact, hollow, at
least to my eye. The link from the wiki article on wool, saying its
fibers are hollow, sends you to a web page that does, indeed, say that
Angora wool (rabbit) fibers are hollow. I was unable to see any
evidence on that page to back up the statement with respect to sheep's
wool. I saw various references in various places to the fact that the
interior of the fibers absorbs water, up to 30% by weight, stuff I had
read about before. Reasons why wool clothes were used so much, to keep
you warm even in the wet.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain