[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Dan Rembold d_rembold at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 13:29:09 MST 2011

Some years ago James Arledge did a blind hearing test for a pretty good-sized group of us techs at a PTG meeting in Nashville.  He had sampled notes from about a half-dozen pianos--C2, C4, and C6 if I remember correctly.

The pianos he had sampled were a 1903 Chickering, an older rebuilt Steinway, a newer D, a Yamaha C6 and I think a Baldwin L.  All had been prepped and voiced pretty much equally, and James used his weighted key depressor to get a consistent attack on each note.

We were asked to listen and blindly select which one we thought would be the most ideal piano tone.

After a good half-hour of eliminations, we all selected unanimously--you guessed it--the Chickering.

DR