[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Tue Feb 15 14:45:56 MST 2011

I've have voted for the Chickering without even listening because I imagine it would have had the most pronounced character--call it warmth. But the problem with sampling individual notes, it seems to me, is that it overlooks how the instrument sounds musically, with lots of notes contributing to an overall effect greater than the sum of its parts. And the Chickering wouldn't have been my choice for Boulez, say, or Prokofiev.
Laurence.